Airpods, the popular wireless earbuds from Apple, are a convenient and essential accessory for many people. However, accidents can happen, and it is not uncommon for Airpods to fall into the toilet.
The immediate reaction for most people is to retrieve the Airpods as soon as possible, but it’s important to consider the potential damage that can occur and take the proper steps to ensure the best outcome.
In this article, we will discuss the steps to take if your Airpods fall into the toilet, as well as prevention measures to avoid this situation in the future.
The Immediate Reaction
When your AirPods fall into the toilet, it’s natural to feel panic and want to retrieve them as soon as possible. However, it’s important to take a moment to assess the situation and consider the potential risks.
One of the first things to consider is whether the toilet is connected to a septic tank or not. If it is, then you should not reach in and retrieve the Airpods yourself as there may be harmful bacteria that could cause serious illness if you come into contact with it.
In this case, it’s best to call a plumber to safely remove the Airpods for you.
If the toilet is connected to a municipal sewage system, then it may be safe to retrieve the Airpods yourself with proper safety precautions. Be sure to use a pair of rubber gloves and something like tongs or a long stick to reach in and grab them out.
Once you have the AirPods, it’s important to take the proper steps to clean them and ensure they are safe to use.
Once you have retrieved your AirPods, it is important to properly clean them. The first step is to rinse off any debris or material that may be on the earbuds with running water. Be careful not to submerge the AirPods in water as this may cause damage.
Once they are clean, the next step is to dry them off with a soft cloth or paper towel. Be sure not to rub too hard or put any pressure on the earbuds as this could cause damage.
The final step is to use a cotton swab lightly dipped in isopropyl alcohol to clean the charging port and any other exposed areas of the AirPods. This will help get rid of any bacteria or dirt that may have been left behind.
Once you have finished cleaning the AirPods, it is important to let them completely dry before using them again.
The Potential Damage
One of the primary concerns, when Airpods fall into the toilet, is the potential for water damage. Water can seep into the device and cause damage to the internal components, potentially rendering the Airpods unusable.
In addition to the risk of water damage, there is also the possibility that the Airpods could be ruined by any foreign substances present in the toilet. This could include bacteria or chemicals that could cause damage to the device.
It’s important to note that the Airpods are not waterproof and are not designed to be submerged in water. While they may be able to withstand some exposure to water, they are not meant to be submerged in liquid.
If the Airpods are damaged as a result of falling into the toilet, they may need to be replaced. This can be a costly and inconvenient process, making it all the more important to take the necessary precautions to prevent this situation from occurring.
If you want to have a new one, you may check these as they come cheaper than apple website-
Steps to Take if Your Airpods Fall Into the Toilet
If your Airpods do fall into the toilet, it’s important to act quickly to minimize the potential damage. Here are some steps to take:
- Remove the airpods from the charging case. This will help to prevent any further damage to the device.
- Dry the Airpods thoroughly. This is essential to prevent water damage to the internal components. Use a towel to gently pat the Airpods dry, and be sure to remove any excess water from the charging case as well.
- If the Airpods are still wet, there are a few options for drying them further:
- Place the Airpods in a bowl of rice. The rice will help to absorb any remaining moisture from the Airpods.
- Use a hairdryer on a low heat setting to dry the Airpods. Be sure to hold the hairdryer at a safe distance to avoid overheating the device.
- Allow the Airpods to air dry. This may take longer, but it is a safe and effective way to dry the Airpods.
- Once the Airpods are dry, reinsert them into the charging case and close the lid. If the charging case is still wet, it’s important to dry it thoroughly before attempting to charge the Airpods.
- Leave the Airpods in the charging case and allow them to charge for at least an hour. This will help to ensure that any remaining moisture is fully evaporated.
By following these steps, you can help to minimize the potential damage to your Airpods and ensure that they are in good working order.
Falling into the toilet can be a costly and inconvenient experience, so it’s important to take steps to prevent this from happening. Here are a few prevention measures to consider:
- Use a lanyard or carrying case for your Airpods. A lanyard or carrying case can help to keep your Airpods secure and prevent them from falling out of your ears or out of your pocket.
- Be mindful of where you place your Airpods. Avoid placing them on the edge of a counter or table, or in a location where they could easily fall into the toilet or other body of water.
- Keep the charging case closed when not in use. This will help to prevent the Airpods from falling out and potentially being lost or damaged.
By following these prevention measures, you can help to keep your Airpods safe and in good working order.
In summary, using a lanyard or carrying case, being mindful of where you place your Airpods, and keeping the charging case closed can help to prevent your Airpods from falling into the toilet or other body of water.
To Sum Up
In conclusion, falling into the toilet can be a costly and inconvenient experience for anyone who owns a pair of Airpods. Water can cause significant damage to the internal components of the device, potentially rendering the Airpods unusable.
If your AirPods do fall into the toilet, it’s important to act quickly and take the necessary steps to dry completely and disinfect the device before attempting to use it again.
By following these steps and taking preventive measures, you can keep your AirPods safe and in good working order.